Relationship is based on the foundations of trust and responsibility. However, when feelings take a threatening turn and someone neglects his or her boundaries to still care about their exes then there is definitely a problem.
Many times, couples broach the topic of exes when they are completely comfortable and at ease because they have positive feelings for their old flames. When partners open up about their previous relationships in a positive environment that means the old flames can’t catch fire anymore because they have ended everything but they might care about their exes because it all ended on a good note.
Other times, certain complicated scenarios involve exes and new relationships. It starts to bother, at the time, wherein the involvement is actually compromising the strength of your current relationship.
At that point, it’s important for the two of you to speak up and voice your sentiments to your partner so that you are able to hold one another accountable.
It’s not bothersome if your partner still wants to remain friendly or cordially with an ex but there must be some boundaries and ground rules established as a couple so that you two continue with your relationship on the same page.
Feelings towards exes are always sensitive and if your partner might still care about their exes then you are required to stay vigilant and not impeding on their freedom.
Your partner might want to remain in contact with their exes and this is how you can save yourself from being totally foolish or played at the hands of your partner.
1. It’s definitely a cause of alarm when they say that they’re going to do favors for exes in the first place.
2. This actually humanizes their intention when they use their ex name instead of “my ex”.
3. When they talk about what their ex is doing on social media.
4. You can guess that your partner is sad to see their ex moving forward romantically and having a flourishing love life.
5. One would wonder why they claim that they’re nervous about running into an ex if they don’t have feelings towards them anymore.
6. This is plain insulting and disrespectful when they actually compare you to an ex when they shouldn’t even be comparing you to anyone.
7. They’re trying to mask something when they complain about their ex.
8. You haven’t signed up for hearing your partner’s anecdotes and stories about their ex but your partner brings up details about their old love life means they might still care about their exes.
It is always awkward and nerve-wracking for any couple to talk about their exes in a relationship. Boundaries need to be set at the start of your relationship so that both of you know that certain scenarios will not be acceptable in between you as a couple.
A mature approach in finding a middle ground and setting up boundaries can help you to stay calm and comfortable with each other.